Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First Steps at SBU

So I've been at Stony Brook for four weeks now, this week being the fourth. Campus life is pretty depressing on the weekends. Dorm life, however, is much funner than I would have ever imagined. Asides from my occasional drinking binge with my roommate (only when he has guests over, which is like every other week), I met some cool people in my hall. I don't think I'd be able to bring up funny stories from my time here yet, only slightly nasty ones that involve vomit and dorm food.

I live in a 24/7 quiet building in the furthest building from the buildings where all the classes are. I'd guess there'd be some others just as far, but the building I live in is more commonly known. The hall I live in, however, is never 24/7 quiet. Although my room is quiet as hell, there are kids that smoke pot in their room and stay quiet, kids that LAN party until 2 or 3 in the morning (those jerks never close their door or stop shouting), a few kids that blast Korean music from their room, and even kids that just scream Chinese words (not sure if they're profanities or not; my Chinese is limited) from room to room.

Classes have been great, except for my morning Phonetics class, which I have missed three times now due to waking up late or waking up with a hangover. It's not that I don't enjoy it, it's more like I can't catch up without studying -- which I plan on doing...very soon. Korean so far has been fairly easy, especially since my professor thinks I'm Korean, even though I argue that I'm not.

I only stay for the whole time in Statistics to be respectful to my professor, who manages to have at least half the class leave midway during the lecture. It's really sad and I feel bad for him even though he manages to look like he doesn't care. I'm also really enjoying my Elements of Music class, which I'm only taking to fulfill a DEC (Diverse Education C-- something) requirement.

Classes aside, the kids that I talk to in this school are pretty cool. Obviously, I have the kids that I know from high school and still talk to. I see them everywhere, at least one every day. There are some kids that went to my high school who I don't know, but am now friends with. There are the kids who I met through them, who are also my friends now. And then there are the students in my class, who I'm also friends with now. It's amazing how fast you can make friends here.

I think the main difference between campus life and life while attending John Jay is the networking oppurtunities offered here. Of course, the education is better too, but the networking is amazing here. From friends to friends of friends, you end up meeting a lot of people that you would have never met in a CUNY. Dorming life allows me to actually slow down my pace and have time to talk to strangers, while at John Jay, I didn't really have that option. My friends aren't restricted to people I meet in my classes, but now they extend outwards to people I would have never though I would have become friends with.

All in all, life at Stony has been pretty good. I find things to do when times are really boring (I just study). Food sucks, no matter how you look at it. Only their burgers are okay because they taste normal, but even then, they still kind of suck. I'm hoping the next few weeks of school will continue to yield new oppurtunities. That's all for this post!

Word of the Day:

자요 I probably managed to get this wrong >_>...

1 comment: